Tuesday 10 October 2023

A Russell Portrait

Correspondent Chris G spent some time following up the history of a tiny group that split from the Paul Johnson movement that had in turn split from the Society in 1917-1918. The aim was to secure any rare materials from the Pastor Russell era that might be in their possession.  The search ended with an Estate sale of the effects of descendants of those once involved. From it came the following. In Chris’s own words:

Photographs and recollections of the estate sale.

Some have inquired whether I might share a few more photos of some of the items found at the Estate Sale.


This is evidently a large print (approx 24 x 36) of an original painting.  The print is of very high quality and the detail is stunning.  It was sitting in the garage with tools and common yard equipment along with a few other framed family pictures from the 1800s and early 1900s.  None of the characters looked at all familiar to me so I passed on them, I wish now I had at least photographed them so I could have researched them later.  At the time however I was overwhelmed with what I was finding.



The Russell Portrait, 8/10 original pencil sketch.

I ran across this gem as it was laid next to the painting above.  On buying it I assumed it was a simple copy but days later I studied the detail of the image only to confirm it was the original pencil sketch that was evidently used by Bible Students when reprinting the Watchtower bound volumes.  Does anyone know who this artist is, “J.E. Sweet”?

I suspect this portrait of CTR would have gone unpurchased and disposed of if I hadn’t attained it.

 

Addenda

This probably was the basis for another portrait drawing by a “Bro A Wiser.”


3 comments:

  1. The framed sketch is not the same as the one printed in the book. Look closely at the spot where the shirt collar meets the tie knot, they are different. The framed sketch could be a replica, or the artist might have drawn more than one portrait. Either way, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a copy of the painting in Denmark 30 years ago at the home of the editor for PJ's Danish magazine. He said it was made by an artist from Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the Polish 7th volume (1923, 1925) there are three illustrations from CTR. One of them is a portrait (p. 406). I will send you these illustrations by email. Maybe they will be useful. (From Benek)

    ReplyDelete